Tuesday, January 14, 2014

KEEN-WAH.

Ok, first, let me get this out of the way.  Blending Progenix chocolate protein powder with cold coffee and ice does NOT mean that you have just become the world's most brilliant girl by creating a zone/paleo version of the Frappucino.  It just means you've made a damn mess in your kitchen that sort of tastes like a wet chocolate ash tray.

Moving on...

Breakfast today was the same as yesterday.  2 eggs, 2 sausages (Applegate Farms chicken and sage) plus 2/3 cup oatmeal with 1/3 of a mashed banana.  Plus loads of black coffee so that I didn't kill anyone.  I like this breakfast...it's 3 blocks...but Jeff does struggle a bit to finish his 5-block version.  We may tweak his breakfast to 4 blocks soon and move a block to dinnertime when he is hungriest.

I had a snack before the gym.  Thank GOD for my new bestie, Progenix.  It has some sugars in it but Mel said it's ok and she's basically like the zone diet rabbi, so I'm using it.  I made a little smoothie, which is honest to God my least favorite word in the English language.  Seriously, it's worse than panties and moist and hubbie and veggie and preggo combined.  And that's saying a lot.  Smoooooothie.  Barf. Anyway,  after ditching the aforementioned wet chocolate ash tray version, I screwed my head on straight and made a "blended beverage" (I didn't say the s-word) with a scoop of chocolate Progenix, 1/3 of a banana and 1/3 tsp. of peanut butter (i.e. baby monkey turd) plus some water and ice.  Now THIS was good.  Super good.  Score one for me and my morning.

I went to the gym at 12:30 and felt really great.  Not hungry and not tired.  I PR'd my deadlift, which made me oh-so-happy because it's the one thing I think I do pretty well.  215 pounds today.  Couldn't get 220# but this is not the Olympics now is it?  I also did my first ever "all by myself" WOD -- well, not exactly all by myself, but I did a different WOD than the rest of the class because they were doing Jackie as a bencmark for this challenge and I did Jackie recently enough for it to count.  If you're not a CrossFitter and you're reading this, know that I'm not a lesbian (well, not entirely) and I don't run around "doing" women unless, you know, they're really worth it.  Like Jackie.


Lunch was a salad with grilled chicken...again, same as yesterday.  But Mt. Vegetables was scaled back a bit and some of the carbs were replaced with quinoa.  For those that don't know, quinoa is pronounced KEEN-WAH.  In addition to being a "species of goosefoot," a "psuedocereal," and a "chenopod," Quinoa is also the name of the "Imaginary Well-Dressed Toddler" on Pinterest and you really need to check her out.  Little Quinoa has friends with names like Crostini, Endive and Chevron and a nanny named Fontanelle.  I wish I were as funny as the woman who comes up with this stuff.

So fond was I of the quinoa that I substituted it for all the damn vegetables at dinner.  Not the smartest move, but allowable under our rules and tomorrow my over-vegetabling will resume.  But my shrimp sauteed in grass-fed butter was just calling out for a decent portion of KEEN-WAH, so I went for it.

I mean seriously, right?  SO GOOD.
After dinner, I had an awesome one-block snack.  I chopped the hell out of half an apple in the blender (or, the NINJA as we call it) and then nuked it for a bit to warm it up.  Sprinkled some cinnamon on it and added a tiny bit of almond meal.  It was really delicious and tricked my brain into thinking it was eating apple crisp for a moment.  Of course, I ate the g-damn one ounce piece of turkey meat on the side just to remind myself that at the end of the day, this whole thing really does suck donkey balls more than a tiny bit.

But ok, I am willing to admit something and it's only day two.  I had ZERO afternoon crash today.  Afternoon crash is pretty typical for me.  Around 4 pm, after the kids get home and the sun is starting to set (because winter hates me), I get freaking exhausted.  Sometimes I find myself making another pot of coffee just to make it through the rest of the day.  But today I was running to and fro (home-ballet-home-ballet with my daughter), I realized that I genuinely still felt awake and alert and pretty damn awesome.  Hungry as shit, but otherwise super duper.  It's too early to say if this is a permanent change, but it's something and it sort of makes eating my meals next to a calculator worth it.  Sort of.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a DL PR! And hooray for zero crash!

    I'm moving one of my blocks to the morning too, since I still wanted to gnaw off my arm today. Fortunately I was prepared with a 1-block snack to eat on the way to the gym. Yay hard-boiled egg, small number of cherries, and 3 fucking almonds. Woo.

    ReplyDelete